Thursday, July 25, 2013

First real email from the MTC













The flight was great and very fun, except when we got to mexico there was no one waiting for us! so we spent like an hour walking around trying to find someone and call. I got an opportunity to talk to someone about my mission on the way to mexico, he didn't seem interested in the church but thought it was a really honorable thing I was doing and wished me luck.  My new companion is Elder C_____!!!! From Pocatello Idaho!!! dad just emailed me and apparently we know his family! he is really cool, he is a wrestler and is crazy strong. and out of no where on the way to the gym one day, he did a standing back flip on the grass! he is going to McAllen Texas too! Anyway, the first day I got here I was able to find the doctor and talk to him about my stitches. He was an american and really nice, we went over to the partially completed clinic and took them out. Well two days later my armpit was hurting so I looked at it and he forgot to take one of them out! So i just took it out myself with some fingernail clippers. It has healed up really nice and I have a gnarly scar now. We stay in a little Casa, its really cool though and 1000 times better than the dorms. We were the first elders in casas so they weren't ready for us, so there are always workers in and out of our house asking us questions, but we don't know what they are saying cause they talk super super fast. So we always just say si. There are 5 of us (one companionship and a threesome companionship) that are with each other all the time. (there are like 10 McAllen people here) We all get along pretty good. Ok so the food, the food is seriously bad. Like crazy things you could never imagine. Like for example one day we had this neon pink jello/pudding consistency stuff with raisins on top, it tasted exactly like pink bubble gum mixed with toothpaste. It was crazy odd. The meat is always a little sketchy. But probably the scariest things are the juices. They always look really good. but end up tasting psycho. the worst one yet was this watermellon juice that was absolutely crazy. They also don't beleive in frosting so they just smear Crisco on all of the cookies. The beans, rice, tortillas, bread and water is always pretty good though. Me and elder B_____ couldn't take being hungry all the time so we would stash like 5 boxes of zucarittas (frosted corn flakes) in our bag everyday. I have a pretty nice stash in my closet that I add to. Except I think they figured us out because now instead of little boxes they have these giant dispensers...oh well. The first few days were very very very very very very slow. But once we hit Sunday things have zoomed. We went to the temple today and it was beautiful. Mexico city is very ghetto and we are in probably one of the scariest parts. we are like our own little island though. But I think I have learned more Spanish here than in my 3 or 4 years of high school. Like it is a night and day difference. Our teachers name is Hermano T_____ and he is really good. We got the opportunity to teach an investigator (actor of course) and its been going well. Its really hard in Spanish but we are getting better. Its super funny because all of the MTC workers speak almost 0 English. It makes it impossible to figure anything out ever. But that's alright, we will learn. Gym time is definitely the best each day, we get a chance to take a break, we switch off between lifting weights and playing basketball, and than we go to the Tienda and buy Giant Arizona drinks that are super good. its like 60 cents for them in american money. its super cheap. I think I have covered just about everything this week. Oh except for that my bunk bed, I sleep in the bottom, and it was obviously made for little Mexican children because I hit my head so much in the middle of the night. Things are good and I'll write again soon! keep me updated. It rains literally every single day around dinner. but that's good because its happy rain. The MTC president is really cool. We have devotionals which are awesome. I think that's it for this week. ask any questions if I forgot something. Love you all.
p.s. I got to see my friend Elder JT R______ at the airport! he is in our stake. And elder Josh L_____ is like 1 room down from me in the same casa! so I will see him almost everyday. can you put all my pictures on facebook. gracias
Elder Sherman,

No comments:

Post a Comment