Monday, October 7, 2013

So this week was super amazing with it being conference and all!!! I made it through my first transfer and I'm doing good! Im just loving the people in my area and Texas right now. There are so many unique people and you just get to know all of them. There is this guy named A____who absolutely loves us and whenever he sees us driving he will stop his car in the middle of the road and set up a time for us to come by, except he is never home. but he loves god a ton. he used to be a hard core drug dealer, smuggler, people smuggler, in and out of jail, gang guy. he said he has literally done everything we can think of. But he is the nicest now and he changed a few years ago when he read the Bible in prison. He is very happy Christian so he loves us, but its hard to teach him. 

So I bought some sick BMX grips for my bike and I will buy a light today!!!!! (remember, the old ones were stolen)

I have been really trying to improve my Spanish lately. The people here speak a very "dirty" version of Spanish in that it is all slurred together mixed with the occasional English word. Literally heard a guy say. Vamos a cambiar el wheel en la trucka. its crazy./ and everyone always says "mande" pronounced monday which i guess means to repeat something. haha super weird.

Dogs chase me daily now. there is a gang of Chihuahuas and one white dog on this one street that hide behind this weird electric looking thing. and than there is always this dog that is in this church parking lot. Probably the scariest thing is riding at night and hearing all the dogs barking and it being pitch black and out of no where there will be one right next to you trying to bite you. crazy ha ha.

Transfers were today!!!! I'm staying but our area is doubling in size because the other area is getting shut down and we are taking the other area into ours. crazy.

Talked to lots of drunk people.  They are everywhere and all know the missionaries. There is this street where there are always drunk people outside. One guy sang us some Elton John I'm still standing. It was great. Did I mention there are 10000000000 cats here.  Literally you will see 8 to 12 cats just laying on peoples porches.  They are so gross.

Wow conference was so amazing!!!!! I didn't think I would appreciate something like that so much and I really hoped the kids listened. I decided to write down some questions I had and all of them were answered literally word for word.

It is amazing because Dad's spiritual thought and Jeremy's spiritual thought is exactly what I wanted to write a little bit about which is meekness and humility. He talked about meekness as one of the saviors most abundant attributes. Sitting there as a representative of Jesus Christ, it came to my mind that I need to really develop this trait if I want any hope of helping people. Something I loved that he said is that we can better understand the answers to our prayers is by being humble.  Because a humble man is able to to be taught, humility is so important and its one of those things you could never have enough of. Like dad said, humility isn't weakness, to me, its actually a strength to know you have weakness. Like President Uchtdorf said when talking about "hypocrites" We are all hypocrites because we know we should be better. I'ts up to us to act on it though.

Well I love you!!!!
Elder Sherman.



Nate's try at our family's traditional conference breakfast

No comments:

Post a Comment